The traditional sexual behavior of the Maroon community is changing. This is the result of the inevitable developments within the community. While sexual activity at a young age and polygamy are part of the traditional culture, recent studies shows that there is an increase in commercial sex and sex with more than one partner.
The national SRH policy for Suriname means that every Surinamese person has the right to be informed about and has access to safe, effective, affordable and common methods of family planning by choice. Furthermore, everyone should be provided with proper reproductive health care that should guarantee a safe pregnancy and childbirth through prevention.
The Medical Mission is one of the executive organizations of the “Joint Program for Reproductive Health in Suriname 2003-2006” financed by the United Nations Population Fund (UNPFA). The project contract has been signed between the Surinamese Government and the UNPF for the duration of 42 months with the following goals:
Increased availability and application of adjusted and high-quality reproductive health care for women, men and young people.
Improved information in the field of sexual and reproductive health, in particular the knowledge and skills to bring about positive behavioral change within the current SRH traditions.
Some results of this project should be:
– Increase of knowledge and awareness about SRH issues and risks in the community and strengthening of health-seeking behavior.
– Increase of SRH services: accessibility, use and improvement of the quality of the existing services.
– Improvement of SRH data collection and use and reduction of existing gaps in the SRH data files.
By means of this project, the policy of the Medical Mission in the field of sexual and reproductive health is emphasized.
The SRH policy of the Medical Mission comprises the following:
– A satisfactory and safe sex life for all adults;
– The possibility to reproduce by choice;
– The right of all men and women to be informed about and have access to safe, effective, affordable and common methods of family planning by choice;
– Adequate health care that offer women safe pregnancy and childbirth;
– Offer couples the best opportunities/conception for reproduction.